Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Year in Review aka Procrastinating

Well I'm just sitting here procrastinating. I've got a million tiny things that need my attention over the next week. It's hard for me to look back (ever) and even more so with the amazing things that January is dangling in front of me. A week from today I leave for Mississippi with the Amazing Sufferin Bastards to make an epic record in a most awesome place with some really, really cool people. If that wasn't stealing enough of my attention I can't help but think about what a crazy time we'll have on the way home when we stop in Memphis to perform on Beale Street and more importantly hanging out in one of the most musically significant cities in the world with friends like Matt Andersen, Steve Marriner and Keith Hallett. Sounds like BBQ'd trouble to me!

To put off the meanial little tasks I have like wrting out all the lyrics to my songs and documenting my gear by serial number, I've been reading top 10 lists of 2009...you know, Albums, shows, movies....I was gonna write one. Then I realized a lot of the albums I was blown away by in 2009 were released before then, ie: Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs and Faith Cola by Sisters Euclid....2008 and 2006 respectively....thats not to say there wasn't a pile of awesome music released this year...I'm sure if I went through my itunes I would find some stuff but lets be honest folks, I listen to a PILE of tunes...to whittle it down would be tough.

So instead I thought I would just touch on some of the high points of 2009. I toured a lot and met a lot of folks and saw a lot of good music and I just can't fit it all in here so these are the 'best of'' for me.

So these things come to mind as totally awesome moments:
- Preforming at The Capital Theatre in Moncton
- Securing the late great Jim Dickinson to record our new album at Zebra Ranch. The thought ofsomeone who played with the people he did liking my songs almost makes me cry every time I think about it.
- Seeing Neil Young at Harbor Station. Simply amazing. Neil has it more than any other artist. An inspiration for sure.
- Sister's Euclid. Saw 'em twice. Once in the late winter, my first time, and again with the bastards at one of their last performances at The Orbit Room. Sick Sick Sick. If you haven't seen them, seek them out. They will change your life.
- Visiting Tofino for the first time ever. Majestic.
- Watching The Black Crowes from backstage in Fredericton.
- Having Cody Dickinson from the North Mississippi All-stars (one of my fav bands) offer to take over the recording only days after the passing of his father.
- Having supper sitting beside Los Lobos at the Delta then going to see them open their show with 'There goes the neighborhood". Thanks Brent!
- The most amazing weekend of performing at Blues on Whyte in Edmonton.
- Getting Nominated for the Maple Blues Best New Artist.
- Halloween in Tofino. WOW.
- I'm sure I am forgetting a lot of fun times I had but these ones definitly stand out in my mind....

The best memory I have of '09 is the way our community (and folks from a far) rallied behind us to help us raise money to go to Mississippi and record aour new album. It blew my mind how much support folks gave us. Can't wait to deliver the best album of material (so far) to all your ears. Thanks so much all!

Now I must prepare for a crazy weekend. New Years Day Levee at Dolans Pub 2-6 and then our full on show Friday and Saturday night. starting at 10pm. This is our last weekend of fundraising before we split next week so I hope to see y'all out at Dolan's.
We're gonna rock 2010 in hard!!!

before I go here is a promo clip for our Mississippi trip. It was graciously put together by Robb Lepper at Certified Media Group for Hip e Bikes. Check it....

Best to you all in 2010. It's gonna be a gooder.

Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment