Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DAMN!


I'll tell ya, sometimes when i come to Toronto I get my musical mind melted on a Monday night. Last time I think it was the Sisters Euclid, who may be the craziest band ever in their genre, whatever it is. This time it was a night of oldy timey, bluegrassjazzcountry sort of thing. We decided we had best go to Oakville to the Moonshine Cafe to see JP Cormier. We should have known by the evening sky that it would be awesome!
Awesome is an understatement. I've seen JP before and he kicks ass, takes names and probably strikes fear in the heart of stringed instruments everywhere. This time was extra awesome as he had Mike and Bill Elliot from Cape Breton with him. Mike and Bill are bad ass mofo's in their own right and the three of them together was simply awesome.

JP easily moves from guitar to mandolin to fiddle and I'm sure whatever else he desires. Bill held it down on guitar and Mike walAlign Centerked the shit outta his bass. I was so stunned it didn't occur to me to get a video till the end.....I got a full verse out of each instrument. Dunno which tune it is and ya can't see shit but the boys can be heard ripping it up!

Here is JP on Mandolin.


Bill rips one out *guitar trivia....Bill was playing a Crosby, made in Lockport NS. Tehse guitars weee made famous by recent ECMA winners The Hupman Brothers:


And then it's Mike's turn:


What incredible talent! Felt very honored to have been there. Big thanks to my good friend John for the ticket and for bringing JP in to perform. AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. you may have to 'help' the videos....after they buffer just move the counter and hit play you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete