Sunday, February 28, 2010

olympics: NFLD Dayze ....educational photo booth

My Favorite story of the whole two weeks......
It's Friday past...we've already had a fantastic day what with seeing the art gallery, and getting a guided tour by a local....we hop the water bus to Granville Island to check on our cheques. It's Newfoundland Day at the Pavillion. Awesome. While in the upper room where they do the food tastings we are waiting to see about final payment. I notice acouple gals in some 'weird' uniform. They look like 'bobbies'. Hard not to talk to a gal in uniform wha?

Also in the room is one of those "stand in front of the fake icebergs and get yer photo taken" thingys. well Mike "white tiger" Dixon and I are all over that shit. I think....may as well ask these gals to get in the photo too! Here is a recount of our convo as I recollect it.....
Ross - "So, what are you gals all dolled up for today?"
Gal - "We're part of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulatory."
Ross - "The Wha?"
Mike Dixon - "The NFLD provincial police...Rossy"
Ross - long pause......."you ladies are officers of the law?"
Gal - "yes. This is our dress uniform. We are police officers".
Ross - "Where's yer weapons?"
Gal - "We don't wear them in our dress uniforms."
Ross - reality sinking in...."SO, you girls are police officers in NFLD, and these are your dress uniforms?"
Gal - "Thats Right."
Ross - "ok then. well. I didn't realize that NFLD had their own provincial police force. It's all RCMP'd up in NB. I'm glad I didn't say anything stupid then. I bet you gals haven't been hit on once today eh?"
Gals - much laughter and shaking of the head coupled with rolling of the eyes.
Mike Dixon - "You idiot."
Ross - leaving, feeling right smrt. "Well I didn't know what they were. They look like bobbies."


Yup.....so just to be clear...NFLD still has a provincial police force. Not just RCMP like in NB.
Never know what you'll learn when you go to the 'Lympics.

NB here I come......

No comments:

Post a Comment